Mr. and Mrs. John Schlessman established a scholarship fund in memory of their son Alan. Consideration is given for leadership, academic competence, desire for higher education, and for participation in golf, basketball, tennis, and school peer programs. Scholarship applications can be obtained in the counselor's office at Perkins High School or from the Sandusky/Erie County Community Foundation.
Alan R. Schlessman Scholarship
Awarded to a Perkins High School Senior with strong leadership potential and whose activities may have included peer leader, tennis, golf and/or basketball.
- 2003 Andrew Miller, Baptist Bible College
- 2004 Adam Davie, Ohio State University
- 2004 Jon Baker, Ohio State University
- 2005 Natalie Smith, New York University
- 2006 Amy Scheck, Bowling Green State University
- 2006 Jessica Bouy, Ohio State University
- 2007 Jenna Baker, Clemson University
- 2007 Dan Doster, Ohio State University
- 2007 Cory Grathwol, Ohio State University
- 2008 Jared Patton, Washington & Jefferson College
- 2008 Natalie Reddaway, Capital University
- 2008 Carol Jean Kurtz, Bowling Green State University
- 2009 Mary Giardina, Ohio State University
- 2009 Jen Kustec, Bowling Green State University
- 2009 Michael Henzler, Univ. of Akron
- 2009 Katie Stephens-Rich (awarded in '10), Ohio State University
- 2010 Sarah Kerst - Univ. of Cincinnati
- 2010 Chaz Herzog - Bowling Green State University
- 2010 Chris Baxter - Dayton University
- 2011 Tim Cutler - Dayton University
- 2011 Caryn Roeser - Bowling Green State University
- 2011 Stephanie Reddaway - Ohio State University
- 2012 Adrianna Scavio - Bowling Green State Univ.
- 2012 Ben Kinsel - Ohio State Univ.
- 2012 Jordon Fraley - Tiffin Univ.
- 2012 Tony Genter - Ohio State Univ.
- 2013 Kimberly Anglin
- 2013 Taylor Haynes
- 2013 Hayley Roll
- 2014 Kelly Grathwol
- 2014 Cody Dominick
- 2014 Manickam Manickam
- 2014 Sarah Sullivan
2015 Kayla Hafner & Carlee Vaughn
2016 Priscilla Nguyen, Susan Jiang and Jordyn Baker
Al's Scholarship & Grants
Awarded to a Sandusky High School Blue Streak Senior basketball player. Alan was ball boy for the Streaks in his younger years when his father coached.
- 2004 Jonathan Stratton, Miami (Fla.) University
- 2004 Chris Magee, Bowling Green State University
- 2004 Ryan Williams, University of Texas at San Antonio
- 2005 Daniel Williams, Bowling Green State University
- 2006 Michael Love, St. Louis University
- 2008 Donté Walk, Central State University
- 2009 Sandusky High, $$ awarded for 2009 Summer AAU program
- 2010-2013 Sandusky Basketball Shoe Fund
- 2014 $1000 Sandusky Basketball Camps
2015 $6000 grants to Sandusky area youth for Baywinds Tennis, area
golf instruction and tourney fees, and equipment, clinic fees and
clothing for Sandusky basketball
2016 $3500 Sandusky basketball, Sandusky Funschools, Baywinds
Jr. Gold, and various equipment needs for area schools
Al's Golf Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to a Perkins High School senior golfer. Proceeds from the Pirate Booster Club's annual Alan Schlessman Memorial Golf Scramble make this award possible.
- 2003 A.J. Erney, Ohio State University
- 2004 Abby Bertsch, Ohio Northern University
- 2005 Jessica Goff, Ohio State University
- 2006 Michael Grathwol, Notre Dame University
- 2007 Perry Mullins, Ohio State University
- 2008 Marina Trent, Ohio State University
- 2009 Derek Brennen, BGSU/Firelands
- 2010 Breanna Trent - Kent State Univ.
- 2010 Kevin Ebert - Univ. Of Toledo
- 2011 Laura Beebe - Ohio State University
- 2012 Grant White - Bowling Green State Univ.
- 2013 Maddie Mullins
- 2013 Nathan Foss
- 2014 Tanner Trent
2016 Hannah Weatherly
Al's Clinics was established to provide an opportunity for Sandusky's area youth to learn lifetime sports in an exciting, positive environment. The clinics are open to ALL interested youth, regardless of age, experience and background. The clinics will be a catalyst for future opportunities such as leagues and camps, and monetary assistance will be available for continued instruction. Proper techniques, game rules and sportsmanship will be taught at all events.